Thursday, April 23, 2015

Caring for the Soul While Getting Down to Business

Photo by Author 
It's that time of year: writing retreat on The Lake. Despite the snow flurries, the sound of the the waves is soothing and the view is spectacular from the desk in my room. You'll have to wait until I'm back home to see it, but here's a nearby magnolia bloom from a different year (the magnolia blossoms are still tight buds outside the house this year). My jaw and neck and shoulders are loose as the stress of the last few weeks slides out into the water, carried away by the wind and the churning of the waves. No phones, no sick animals, no household demands for a glorious four days. Just what my soul needed and my muse required. I have work to do. WHERE THE HEART LANDS is out there, searching for more readers. But, I must get back to work on the next book. There's been only snipets of time and less desire. A nurse at work yesterday came up to me to tell me how much she enjoyed WHERE THE HEART LANDS. After a rather disheartening few weeks of book promotion, these positive words lifted my heart. I wish I could say that I just write for the thrill of it, but the truth is, I need to know that people are reading and enjoying what I write. It makes the lonely journey of filling pages worth the effort. As much as I need to write, it still doesn't always come easily. Almost never, in fact. So, why do it?

I do it to learn about myself and the world. I do it to express all the jumble inside my head in a more cohesive way. I do it because I am compelled to do it. Because the urge never leaves me alone. Because it comes from somewhere else, somewhere deep and dark and scary (sometimes) or from joy (once in a while). Because a story wants to come out whether I mean it to or not. Hallelujah when someone takes the time to read it and especially when they let me know what it meant to them. I am humbled and exhalted that another person is moved to share their experience of the work with me. This is why I write.

Time to get down to business.

If you like, check out my website : www.laurajbear.com or order WHERE THE HEART LANDS from my publisher www.unsolicitedpress.com or through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Where-Heart-Lands-Laura-Bear-ebook/dp/B00TQUXPZW/ref=la_B00UGHOKQM_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429810836&sr=1-1 or through Barnes and Noble http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/where-the-heart-lands-laura-j-bear/1121315471?ean=9780692380758 or from two very fine bookstores: RiverRead Books in Binghamton, NY http://www.riverreadbooks.com/search/apachesolr_search/Where%20the%20Heart%20lands and Buffalo Street Books in Ithaca, NY http://www.buffalostreetbooks.com/
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment